Mom makes murukku & seedai a week before diwali and put it in "thukku"(large silver vessel ) and it lasts for around 10 days and i keep on munching them whenever i saw the thukku :-).
Many of them afraid to make seedai at home, because people says it bursts sometimes, for me , it never bursts so far,touch wood :-) . I got the recipe from my mom and i make the same way everytime and it turns out super crispy and tasty each time. See the notes section on how to avoid the bursting of seedai. So do add this in your diwali making list and enjoy with your family.
Take flour in a bowl and add all other ingredients like urad dal powder, cumin, coconut, butter & salt.Mix it well and it becomes look like crumb.Add water little by little and form the dough.Keep it aside for 10 mins and then pinch a small piece of dough and roll it without applying much pressure . Do the same for all the dough. Heat the oil in the deep frying pan.Once the oil is heated well ( if you drop small piece of dough into the oil, it should come up immediately), add the rolled dough and keep the flame in medium.
- Roll the seedai slightly, dont give too much pressure in rolling.
- The time for cooking depends on the pan size and the amount of seedai you cook.
- Sieve the rice flour & urad dal powder before use, mine is already sieved , so i didnt do that.
- The grated coconut should be fine. Large piece of coconut may cause the bursting of seedai.
- Cook it in medium flame for crispy seedai.